What Is OpenAI?
Aiming to develop and guide artificial intelligence (AI) in ways that benefit all humanity, OpenAI is a non-profit research organization. The business is based in San Francisco, California, and was created in 2015 by Elon Musk and Sam Altman. OpenAI was founded because of its creators' existential fears about the possibility of disaster resulting from carelessness and misuse of general-purpose AI. The company's long-term priorities are the fundamental developments of AI and its capabilities.
OpenAI is a research facility for artificial intelligence (AI) and business. They have developed a variety of artificial intelligence (AI)-powered software and machine learning techniques that enable computers to perform a wide range of tasks, such as generating images from text or developing a robot hand that can solve Rubik's cubes.
Some popular OpenAI products and applications include:
- Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3, commonly known by its abbreviated form GPT-3, is an unsupervised Transformer language model and the successor to GPT-2.
- Dactyl uses machine learning to train a Shadow Hand, a human-like robot hand, to manipulate physical objects. In 2019, OpenAI demonstrated that Dactyl could solve a Rubik's Cube. The robot was able to solve the puzzle 60% of the time.
- OpenAI API
- A multi-purpose API "for accessing new AI models developed by OpenAI" to let developers call on it for “any English language AI task”.
- DALL-E 2 And CLIP
- DALL-E is a Transformer model that creates images from textual descriptions, while CLIP does the opposite. CLIP is for creating a textual description for a given image.
- OpenAI Codex
- OpenAI Codex is a descendant of GPT-3 that has additionally been trained on code from 54 million GitHub repositories. According to OpenAI, the model can create working code in over a dozen programming languages, most effectively in Python.
Big Companies That Use OpenAI
The industry uses OpenAI in many different ways. IBM, SalesForce, Cisco, and Intel are among the large corporations that use the OpenAI API for development. The utilization range is broad since OpenAI includes different products and applications that serve various functions.
- GitHub Copilot
- AI pair programmer that helps you write code faster with less work. Using Codex, GitHub Copilot applies the context in your editor and synthesizes whole lines and even the entire functions of code.
- Keeper Tax
- Helps freelancers automatically find tax-deductible expenses by using GPT-3 to interpret data from their bank statements into usable transaction information.
- Viable helps businesses better and more quickly understand what customers want by using language models, including GPT-3, to analyze customer feedback and generate summaries and insights.
- Uses GPT-3 to provide French grammar corrections. An internal Duolingo study shows that using this feature leads to significantly better second language writing skills!
The world of AI is constantly developing and reaching new highs frequently. OpenAI has come a long way since 2015, and it looks like it will continue to do so in the future. As ORPTech, it is one of our priorities to stay up to date with the latest advancements and improve ourselves accordingly. We always support the progress and improvement in the tech industry and follow the latest developments closely.